This Easter weekend with so many of us stuck at home it could be a good time to try your hand at cooking a few new things themed around the holiday. For example fish pie for Good Friday which is usually a fasting day in Catholic households which translates as no meat. Saturday could be about some gluten free hot cross buns and Sunday might be time to get out the big guns with some gorgeous sides for the prawns and ham. Monday you will probably be living on leftovers but these easy banana muffins could be a nice addition to breakfast or afternoon tea.
- Roast vegetables with chili jam
- Warm beetroot and bean salad
- French beans provencale
- Warm Cherry Tomato Salad.
Roast vegetables with chili jam
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 red and 2 yellow capsicum
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium zuchini
Slice vegetables thinly and halve tomatoes. Spray with olive oil and bake uncovered in hot oven 20 minutes. (200 C) Turn and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 4 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 80ml dry sherry
- 2 chilis seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
Combine ingredients in large pan and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with roast vegetables.
French beans provencale
- 500 g green beans
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp parsley
Wash beans, top and tail. Steam until tender Meanwhile heat oil in saucepan , stir in garlic and parsley and a pinch of salt. Add beans and toss until well combined.
Warm Cherry Tomato Salad
- Olive Oil
- 2 Tablesp Honey
- 1 Tblesp oregano, tarragon and basil
- 1 sliced onion
- 6 shallots
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- Vinaigrette – 2 Tblesp Balsamic, 1 Tblesp Olive Oil and 1 tsp mustard.
Heat oil stir in honey and herbs. Add onion and brown stirring constantly.. Lower heat and add tomatoes and stir gently. Serve warm and sprinkle with vinaigrette and chopped basil.
Vinaigrette – combine oil and mustard and beat in balsamic vinegar.
Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (add to sugar)
- 50 g butter
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free self raising flour or 1 cup gluten free self raising flour plus 1/2 cup of almond meal or coconut flour (coconut gives it a nice moisture)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup choc chips preferably dairy free (or 1/2 cup frozen raspberries)
- 1/2 cup sugar
Melt butter, mix in sugar and then egg. Add in alternately flour and bananas and stir well. Then add in the choc chips. Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cases or greased muffin tray. Cook 15-20 minutes at 180 Celsius. Muffins should be lightly browned when cooked.
Christine Pope is a naturopath and nutritionist who practices at Elemental Health at St Ives. Her favourite tool for finding new recipes is googling ingredients.